Designa Sausage Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another new starter with dryish sausages

4 posters

Go down

Another new starter with dryish sausages Empty Dry sausages

Post  spicey lady Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:35 pm

Sounds like your getting there. The bread needs to be very dry before making it into breadcrumbs and it could be that you need more breadcrumbs in your mixture - a lot depends on the meat used. Try using 150gms breadcrumbs and make sure that they are dry. Looking forward to your next report !!

spicey lady

Back to top Go down

Another new starter with dryish sausages Empty Re: Another new starter with dryish sausages

Post  bigred Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:14 am

My first batch was a little dry but very tasty, second was made with just bellypork and better, but still on the dry side Sad

My version of 'breadcrumbs' is running 2 slices of bread through the mincer. Could this be the problem confused

bigred

Back to top Go down

Another new starter with dryish sausages Empty Re: Another new starter with dryish sausages

Post  John Lovett Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:19 am

Hi Geoff,

I use 100% Pork shoulder making sure it has plenty of fat (I do not remove the skin either), I have no problems at all with dryness! however I have made some 100% Beef and they ended up very dry, I now add about 30% pure pork fat and they are very nice, I have also found not grinding the meat to small also helps a great deal, it still end's up very smooth after filling,
Hope that helps a little, and good luck,

John

John Lovett

Back to top Go down

Another new starter with dryish sausages Empty Dry sausages

Post  spicey lady Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:15 pm

It is always good to have about 30 percent fat in the sausages and to make sure that the breadcrumbs are really dry so that they hold some moisture. Using the recipe from designasausage should work really well so maybe they were cooked for too long. Try baking them in the oven for 30 minutes at 175 deg C! Practice makes perfect! Razz

spicey lady

Back to top Go down

Another new starter with dryish sausages Empty Another new starter with dryish sausages

Post  Toadflax Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

I just made my first batch and, although the sausages were a good taste, they did seem rather dry when cooked.

I used the recipe suggested in the booklet that came with my mincer /stuffer from Designa Sausage (approx 1kg meat, of which 2/3 was pork shoulder, 1/3 pork belly; 100ml chilled water; 100g dried breadcrumbs; ~30g seasoning; ~12g stabiliser; I think that was it).

I did cook them on a lower heat than I normally do for bought sausages, so they may have cooked longer, but they weren't succulent and juicy like the ones we normally have from Waitrose. They had been left in the fridge for a couple of days after making before we cooked them and used the collagen skins.

Any thoughts on how to improve them? I wondered if I might need more fat, as the piece of belly that I used didn't seem to have a lot of fat in it, or whether the dried skins soaked up some of the moisture.

Thanks

Geoff

Toadflax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down