Designa Sausage Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems using my own fresh ingredients

3 posters

Go down

Problems using my own fresh ingredients Empty Using Fresh Ingredients

Post  siluki Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:40 am

Thanks spicey lady,

I shall try the stabilizer the next time I make sausages. I forgot to tell short fuse that I 'dry' cook my onions to remove some of their natural water before adding to my sausage mix.

siluki

siluki

Back to top Go down

Problems using my own fresh ingredients Empty Fresh ingredients in sausages

Post  spicey lady Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi Siluki

Have you tried using the Natural stabiliser - this helps to keep in the meat juices and the flavour. See link
http://www.designasausage.com/pages/prods.asp?catid=2&subcatid=23

I do like your idea of using brown bread as the cereal - will give a good colour too I would think.
Spicey Lady

spicey lady

Back to top Go down

Problems using my own fresh ingredients Empty Problems Using my own Fresh Ingredients

Post  siluki Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi shortfuse

I too had the problem of ''watery'' sausages when I first froze, defrosted and cooked my homemade ones. Now when I make them, I leave them uncovered for about 24 hours in the fridge and then package them up for the freezer. I have no more watery sausages, this despite me adding only 5% cereal (of the total weight of meat), rather than the more usual 10%. I think that the meat juices are absorbed by the cereal rather than freezing and then flowing out as water as the sausages defrost and are cooked.
Cereal: I bake brown bread slices slowly and then zap them in the blender, tastes nutty rather than bready.

It works for me - good luck!

siluki

Back to top Go down

Problems using my own fresh ingredients Empty Problems using my own fresh ingredients

Post  shortfuse Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:11 am

Hi, I made my first batch of sausages and added some fresh herbs and onions. I then froze them to use as "fast food" during the week, that way I knew it was wholesome sausages and I knew exactly what was in them!!!

Problem is, when I defrosted them, I found they were a bit watery and didn't have the same taste as when I cooked them from fresh. Why is this?

shortfuse

Back to top Go down

Problems using my own fresh ingredients Empty Re: Problems using my own fresh ingredients

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down